With the human population expanding daily, people were reaching out far and wide to settle down. It is with every passing day becoming difficult for government authorities to manage and regulate laws and provide services, leading to the improper execution of various daily life procedures such as waste disposal, among others. While the government’s lack of provision of proper facilities is a major reason, it is by far not the sole reason. With people being reckless and stupid, it is in many cases the people’s carelessness and insensibility that leads up to the unpleasant occurrence.
FLY TIPPING is the deliberate illegal dumping of waste in an unauthorized place. While dump/junk yards are licensed to accept waste, FLY TIPPING is the illegal deposit of waste on a piece of land that does not have a license to accept it. These places may include streets, parks, ponds, and desolated homes, among others, that are not supposed to be serving the purpose of accumulating waste. But, due to lack of supervision or passive state of usage, they have become dumping grounds for people.
FLY TIPPING may seem harmless and a minor offense, but it negatively impacts society on multiple levels. A criminal activity causes pollution and risks human health and wildlife. It costs the government a major chunk of funds to clean up and spoils local neighborhoods visually and in terms of quality of life. Additionally, undermines the legitimate waste management companies that these illegal operators undercut. Waste Removal London companies like All Junk Removal will help you with safe waste removal.
Although the government has, for a long time, introduced and implemented laws against the practice of FLY TIPPING. It is still widespread, and it is upon us citizens to help fight alongside the government against the evil practice. A few ways to do so have been listed below:
- Education: Many households and businesses are unaware of their responsibility to safely and legally dispose of their wastes and FLY TIP. We must, across communities, educate people on the importance and impact of safe disposal and the dangers of FLY TIPPING.
- Arrange Provisions: Most commoners dispose of their wastes at a nearby FLY TIPPING spot simply out of laziness. Many households do so due to unavailability or lack of access to nearby dumpsters, dumping grounds, or likewise facilities. In such a scenario, the residents/ businesses must reach out to the concerned authorities and arrange for necessary provisions.
- Keep The Area Visible: Most fly-tipping is done in desolate places or at times when these places have no to less human presence. During the night, for instance. Offenders tend to FLY TIP at areas and/or times where they feel less visible, making it easier to get away with the crime. Consider installing security cameras, simply putting up lights or cutting off bushes, maintaining proper fencing, etc. Anything that makes the place seem in use and more visible. Which would lead to a decline in the number of perpetrators.
- Preventive Measures: Consider setting up gates, blocking areas, and high fences/walls, among other preventive measures. Although an expensive alternative. It saves you from spending time and money multiple times in the future and provides a permanent solution to the issue.
- Stricter Laws:While there are laws in place against the practice. The fines and maximum imprisonment periods must be hiked up to keep offenders in check.
- Reporting To Authorities:If you witness fly-tipping, record the details about the incident, the person/people involved, the waste dumped, etc., and report it to the authorities, who would then look into the matter and prevent further occurrences of the same.
- Join/Form Groups: To fight a widespread issue, you’re more likely to work effectively as a team. Join an existing group or form one with like-minded people and work on the issue(s).
- Donate/Volunteer: Many of these groups, as mentioned in the prior point, investigate, report, or discuss issues. Some take up tasks to clear FLY TIPPED areas themselves and to do so, they require equipment and motivation, which could be provided through donations. If one cannot afford to donate, they could instead volunteer.
- Cross Check Before Booking Waste Management Operators:when managing household rubbish or clearing off garden waste, hiring a professional service provider seems like the ideal option for ease. ensure you check up and analyze the company’s legitimacy and reviews before doing so. ask for their registration papers and license. unlicensed contractors usually charge you less but are more likely to dump your waste somewhere it should not be.
- Self Awareness: While we discuss and list down ways to fight FLY TIPPING, it’s important to realize major dumps are not the only instances of FLY TIPPING, from cigarette butts to coffee cups and chewed gums. Many of us would not consider ourselves litterers presuming our offenses’ impact as minimal on the environment. The amassment of these little junks, too, contribute to FLY TIPPING and must be kept in check.